Friday, December 11, 2015

1631 Bamboo at the Richard E. Becker Preserve Plein Air

Last week I saw this grove of bamboo, this is just a small corner.  I wanted to paint it so yesterday I did.  Much better weather yesterday, not too hot and some blue skies.  I had a lot of trouble picking the view to paint, there are about 10 other nice views in the same place!  I just need to turn a little ways and there is a possible painting.

Interesting facts about bamboo, its the tallest grass on earth and fastest growing plant in the world.
Bamboo can be used as a building material and young shoots are edible. Bamboo is more difficult to compress than brick, wood or concrete.  It is harder to pull apart than steel.  It rots a lot slower than many other woods.  I have read that it is about 35% more efficient at converting carbon dioxide into oxygen than most other trees.  I think we should grow more bamboo!

I heard its invasive.  Maybe if the conditions are just right.  My dad planted two clumps of bamboo some 50 years ago.  I was a small child.  There are still two clumps, there are more stalks but its hardly taking over.

The painting is 8 x 10 inches, oil on masonite.

Buy this painting on PayPal
Price: $250 USD

No comments:

1851 Jetty Morning

  Did this awhile ago at the Jetty park here in Fort Pierce.  The painting is 12 x 16 inches, oil on canvas panel. It will be at our art sho...