Thursday, December 04, 2008

Daily Painting 744 Hibiscus Work in Progress

I got these new painting knives for an early Christmas present so I started playing with them right off. They are weird shapes two are like rakes and the third has wavy edges. So I decided to use some black paint because I have lots of it, I rarely use black in my paintings.

When I am trying new things I just try out different strokes on a panel and then scrape them off and keep re-using my paint and cleaning off the panel. I was thinking the knife shapes would make nice leaf veins and edges which it looks like they will do and then I thought I would try some flower shapes too.

My experiment was looking like a painting and so I kept what I was doing and added white to it. I am not sure if I want to add color to the painting or not, I like it as it is, except I want to add the pollen to the stamen ends and do a little more picking here and there. Not for sale at this time, its 8 x 10 oil.

4 comments:

bj said...

Lori, I REALLY like these flowers! The shading is so subtle and the black and white is quite dramatic. Looks like the new painting knives are winners.

Lori McNamara said...

Thanks BJ, I am having fun with them.

Anonymous said...

Lori,
You were kind to respond to me blog for Hall Groat's class. We were in an Art 125 class which was intro to computer design at Broome Community College here in Binghamtom New York. Just found out that I got an A in the class. About your painting 744, I'm not a real good judge in the art world, but if that is an experiment then I say you go girl and keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bill Gifford

Lori McNamara said...

Thanks much Bill! Congratulations on your A!

1851 Jetty Morning

  Did this awhile ago at the Jetty park here in Fort Pierce.  The painting is 12 x 16 inches, oil on canvas panel. It will be at our art sho...