Friday, March 21, 2008

Daily Painting 534 Malabar Orchids

I am experimenting again, I have no idea if there are any orchids called Malabar, but there is this spinach called Malabar Spinach. One of the ladies at Heathcote Botanical Gardens gave me some berries from their Malabar Spinach plant. She told me they had made some dye from them and I thought the color was lovely so I mushed up the berries and made this ink out of them. I thought it looked like a super purple for the orchids so here it is.

I have no idea how archival it is but it sure stained my fingers! The black is from an ink stick that I ground. I had a lot of fun with this one. Its 8 x 12, ink and berry juice.
Buy this painting on PayPal
Price: $200 USD
Or, send me an email



4 comments:

Jamie Williams Grossman said...

Lori, what a great painting, and how cool to make your own ink!

Lori McNamara said...

Thanks Jamie, it was a ton of fun!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Sumi-e right? I like it :)

Lori McNamara said...

Thanks Mary, yes its Sumi-e.

1851 Jetty Morning

  Did this awhile ago at the Jetty park here in Fort Pierce.  The painting is 12 x 16 inches, oil on canvas panel. It will be at our art sho...