Sunday, February 17, 2008

Daily Painting 502 Mother of Thousands Plein Air

This plant is slowly taking over our yard in spots, I like it though. Each little notch on the leaves will grow a new plant.

I did a demo under the painting, the first is a photo I took of a similar plant. You can click on the pictures to see them larger. I prepare the yupo paper, a couple of colors of watercolor are washed onto the paper, I blow on it and tilt the paper till I like the effect. I lay it flat and I let this dry overnight. Then I took a gel pen, drew the plant. The gel pen I used has ink that is not waterproof so it washes off.
The last part of the demo shows where I have wet sections of the flowers with plain water, blot with a paper towel. Then I start laying the colors in the blotted flowers and leaves.

I am enjoying doing something different other than my usual oil painting. The painting is 5 x 7
Buy this painting on PayPal
Price: $100 USD
Or, send me an email



4 comments:

Angela Hardy said...

Thanks Lori.. Things are going much better... I'm in a forgive and forget frame of mind!! I'll either fix up my husbands bike tomorrow or just go get a new one , we'll see :P !! By the way your watercolors are coming along just beautifully!! you should try a closeup/detail of those flowers, they look very sweet!!

Lori McNamara said...

I'll try a close-up, good idea! Thank you!

Julie Lounibos said...

You do nice watercolors!
Those plants really are 'Mother of Thousands' aren't they? I've got a few hundred thousand of them.

Lori McNamara said...

Thanks Julie! Probably mother of millions around here!

1851 Jetty Morning

  Did this awhile ago at the Jetty park here in Fort Pierce.  The painting is 12 x 16 inches, oil on canvas panel. It will be at our art sho...