Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Daily Painting 306 Red Car on Death Row and a Demo

This is from a photo by BJ over at Southern Plein Air Painters. I asked her if I could use the photo, it made me wonder how the car got in such a spot, was it abandoned, stolen, or?? http://southernpleinairpainters.blogspot.com/

The painting is 5 x 7, oil, knife and brush. Below is the demo, first BJ's photo, my little painting box out of a cigar box and the sketch on my panel. The next is a block in with the light and dark colors shown in big blocks of color. The paint is pretty thin so I can work on top of it with more paint. Then the last is pretty much finished, I just had to add some details, shading on the tree trunks and the high lights on the car. I took some liberties with the red clay, adding a bit more to give it some more interest and to show the painting was from the south. I also tipped BJ's photo a bit more so the car was more tilted on a hill.

It was a lot of fun to do a totally different subject than my usual palm trees on flat land, its nice to have a change now and then.
Buy this painting on PayPal
Price: $100 USD
Or, send me an email




2 comments:

bj said...

"Little Red" would be proud :o)

Lori McNamara said...

Thanks BJ!

1851 Jetty Morning

  Did this awhile ago at the Jetty park here in Fort Pierce.  The painting is 12 x 16 inches, oil on canvas panel. It will be at our art sho...